Tuesday, September 11, 2018

On Remembering 9/11

On this day, 17 years ago...
I was driving to class as a sophomore at UCONN's Avery Point commuter campus. I was listening to Howard Stern, as some 19 year olds did, I suppose. I had just four days prior witnessed the miracle of birth of my sweet niece, Toni, and was excited for a brand new day of learning. (Really. I was THAT college student.)
Howard and Robin were talking about something absolutely ridiculous, as always. And I was chuckling at the idiocy of it all. Just as I pulled onto campus, I heard them gasp and question what had just happened as one of the airplanes flew into the tower.
Confusion and utter heartbreak overtook me as I realized that there were people and families whose lives would forever be changed. At the time, I had no idea the implications of this first act.
I went into class with a heavy heart, thinking of all the firefighters that were rushing to the scene. Then, my mind flashed to my own firefighter boyfriend and all of our mutual friends who would rush into any burning building to preserve any life.
At the end of my first class, I learned that there was a second plane. The word "terrorism" was beginning to spread. All I knew was that I felt vulnerable and unsure of everything in my world. And that I wanted to be with my sister and that sweet, innocent baby that undoubtedly would give us all the smiles and hope that we needed to face the unthinkable that day.

Classes were cancelled and everyone dispersed from campus. I drove directly to Steph's, having attempted to call but all cell lines were jammed. Less than a two hour drive from where I was in that very moment, people were dying and facing tragedy that none of us had ever fathomed.
As my family gathered at my sister's house that day, huddled into the living room, watching the news as it all continued to unravel, we took turns snuggling and breathing in the fresh scent of the newborn baby among us. Such innocence and hope were needed in those moments.
As we have every 9/11 since Jackson was born, we will bring treats to our local firefighters. We will thank them and show them that they are in our thoughts and prayers today as everyday, they place their lives on the line to preserve the life and property of complete strangers.
I will never forget where I was when the world changed on that fateful day in 2011.


No comments:

Post a Comment