Thursday, January 3, 2013

I Shaved my Legs for This?

Enter EMG testing...

Neuro appointment today. Don't ask me what an EMG is. Google needs to stay in business, so I'll send some love their way on this one.

I had to shower in prep and not put lotion on. It can apparently screw with the tests. I shaved my legs to spare the doctor.

Loose fitting shorts and shirt were required so they have access to the muscles. I changed there, seeing how it was damned cold out this morning. (For all my New England peeps- it was early spring...)

This electric mid-twenty first torture device was in a tiny little room. I got to change and lay down while the tech did the preliminary studies. There were two leads put onto a couple of places on my hand and then I was shocked with this double-pronged wand.

The electrical shock was just enough to be uncomfortable, like walking on carps with socks on. But, each time I was zapped, the impulse caused different parts of my hand to move and contract.

The Doc poked his head in and said he'd be a moment or two, so I decided to take this opportunity to use the restroom. Remember what the dress code for the test was? Well, add a good pair of cowgirl boots and this is what you get.
This one's for you, MattBec!

The doctor told me I had "quite the look," to which I replied "You know it's hot!" He just laughed. Spreading the joy always. Yes, I sure did walk myself down two corridors in this getup to potty. Shameless.

Then, the Doc came in for the big show. I reminded him of my latex allergy and he found new gloves. Then, I asked him if it would hurt. He told me it wouldn't be like doing something super fun (I replied, "like going to Disney World?") and then said it would "suck." (I should have asked him if that was a technical term.) "Pin pricks" is what he referred the needle insertion. (TWSS?!?)

So, it really was merely uncomfortable. Either I have a ridiculously high pain tolerance or the internet people I read about who needed pain medicines afterwards were just wusses.


Oh, and I joked about my awfully ashy legs with the Doc as well. I told him it was all his fault, since I couldn't put lotion on.

I asked his permission for Brent to take the picture of my arm. He asked if it was for "my Facebook or something." I said it would make great blog material...and that I'm totally making fun of myself on the grand-scale of the internet. The newest friend I've made in this walk, errr, prone-laden experience I'm having gave a huge compliment. He said that I have "a great attitude in the face of a really difficult situation."

On to the good news: 1) He ruled out ALS with confidence. 2) He was able to get my appointment for mid-February changed to mid-January. (See making friends along the way has its perks.)
Bad news: We still don't have an explanation.
Bonus: I got to plaster one of the least flattering pictures of myself on the internet and tell you all about my experience, with smooth, shaved legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment